Weekly Feature Added, Morning Coffee, and Being Self-Employed
Posted by TxCowboyDancer
I’m Writing Over at Squidoo.com too!
Well, I think I’m finally getting the hang of writing on Squidoo.com. Whew! And one of the things I learned is that I can’t post exactly the same article here on my blog and on Squidoo. So from time to time I’ll post a short blurb here to highlight what I wrote there.
I feel your pain. My Inner Domestic Diva has gone back to bed and is cuddling with her bon-bons.
When you think about it for a couple of moments, though, it makes sense. Squidoo is a business, they are there to make money to keep things running, pay the staff, and then donate the rest of it to charity so they don’t want duplicate content. They want the original stuff. The first run top-notch garbanzo beans. The primo coffee as it were. If I were writing an article for a newspaper or magazine then I’d only be able to publish it in one place. Squidoo has no problem sharing the wealth in the interest of attracting high quality original content. Which is where I come in. I write, I attract readers, I get a share of the $$.
Which brings me to an interesting point. I’m having great fun writing this BUT, I’m not doing it just for fun…
…I’m Trying to Make a Living
I’m unemployed and not getting any benefits from the state. They denied my request for unemployment benefits. So I’m basically “self-employed” and making almost zilch! Meanwhile the bills still have to be paid.
Besides my skills as a Librarian, I have two other potential skill sets that might (stress on the MIGHT) be turned into a paying the bills kind of thang. (Note to non-Texans. “Thang” is what Texans say when we want to emphasize a point… We know that the English word is “thing” but it just sounds so much cooler when we say “thang”) But I digress….
Those two skill sets are:
So, I have enough cash in the bank to live for about nine months without finding another 9-5 job.
That gives me nine months to either (1) turn my writing and dancing skills into a paying endeavor or (2) go back to the 9-5 grind.
And dearest readers, I really, REALLY, *rally* REAL-eeeeeeeeeee DO. NOT. WANT. to go back to the “9-5 grind.” I am healthier than I’ve been in over two years because I’m not in that 9-5 grind. I’m doing what I love and, not to put too fine a point on it….
I am happy
I haz a “happy”
No matter how silly it sounds, that is what it boils down to. I’m healthier and happier now than two months ago when I lost my job.
For the first time I no longer thing “If I lose the weight and get fit”… I’m thinking WHEN. It is going to happen. I am going to be healthy, fit, and happy.
So, dearest readers, all twelve of you reading this, I’m going to ask you for a big favor…. When you read this post, and when you read any post in the future, Hit the “share” button. Hit the Like Button. Hit it and share to every network you’re in. And if you feel really motivated, leave me a comment as well. Spread the word about my blog and my Squidoo page. Help a brother out. 😉
And, when you go over to read a post I’ve put on the Squidoo.com website, please do the same. Help me realize my dream of making dance a career. Of making writing a career. I’m down on my knees here… Uhhmmmm Let me rephrase that. Moving on.. 😉
The New Weekly Feature… Top Ten Line Dances!
I’ve created a lens (a “lens” is what Squidoo.com calls an “article”) over at Squidoo. The page there is an excerpt of the Top Ten Line Dances from the World Line Dance Newsletter.
The WLD Newsletter for those who haven’t heard of it is a daily email that goes out from the fabulous Carol Craven with tidbits, news, and announcements about the “Line Dance World.”
Each week Carol collects the votes from her readers, and just about every line dancer with Internet access is subscribed to the newsletter, and from those votes she lists the Top Line Dances being taught and danced around the world. It is quite a long list actually. If you want to see it for yourself, just follow this here link.
So, each week after Carol releases the results of the Line Dance Survey, I’ll pull off the top ten dances and post them on my Squidoo page. On the page you’ll find:
- The list of the top ten dances
- Links to the stepsheets for the dances
- Links to the videos for the dances (where you can vote to re-arrange the order in case you really like one dance or don’t like another) Kinda like a recall election! Woot! 😉
- Links to the music on Amazon (and eventually iTunes) where you can download the song for the dance.
- A chance to leave comments about the dances
- Periodic Polls, or a fun “debate” module <<< There’s a fun one right now “Which is your favorite line dance music? Country vs Non-Country. Don’t miss out… the flames are going to rage high on this one! 😉
So hopefully you’ll enjoy the new page and visit it often. Once there you can bookmark it. Or you can always get to it by coming here to 5-6-7-8 and selecting from the menu above Dance >> Line Dances >> Top Ten Line Dances from the WLD
Don’t forget to comment, like, and share! Woo Hoo! YeeeeeeeeeeeHaawwwww!!!
Just for Giggles…
This morning around 10:30 am when I woke up, I stumbled to the kitchen, started the coffee, came back, turned on the monitor (I don’t turn off my computer, just my monitor) there on the screen was a Facebook Photo where a friend (hmmph!) had tagged me. Here’s the photo:
Even in my pre-coffee state, it made me laugh. Ya gotta love your friends. 🙂
Wish me luck on my quest…
So friends and neighbors, that’s it for this morning. I’ve got to hit the shower, hit the road and head to the dance studio to practice my other burgeoning skill set: dancing.
Wish me luck in my quest to transform myself from “unemployed librarian” into “Self-Employed Creative Person” who writes and dances and lives a much less stressful and healthier life in the process.
See ya on the Dance Floor!
Related Links / Articles:
- I lost my job…and turned into a bear…kinda, sorta (txcowboydancer.com)
- I’ve turned Pro (txcowboydancer.com)
- “As the Boots Turn” #1, A Disaster or Opportunity? Glass Half Full or Half Empty? (txcowboydancer.com)
- “As the Boots Turn” #2, Sleep, Stress, and Number Two (txcowboydancer.com)
- “As the Boots Turn” #3: An Episode of Road Rage, almost (txcowboydancer.com)
- “As the Boots Turn” Episode #4, Depression, Drugs and Medical Varmits! (txcowboydancer.com)
- Secrets of a Line Dancer REVEALED! / Newsflash! – Join the fun at the LA Hayride! (txcowboydancer.com)
- Sometimes you just know…you’re getting better… (txcowboydancer.com)
- Getting Started With Squidoo (The official overview, FAQ and TOS) (squidoo.com)
- Start a lens of your own (squidoo.com)
- Is Squidoo Profitable? (happilyeverafter71011.wordpress.com)
- Are you looking for a Squid Angel Blessing? (bdkz.typepad.com)
My posts on Squidoo so far:
- Music to Dance By: Triple Two Step Finding good music for a particular genre of dance is often very hard to do. In this lens, you’ll find some basic information on “Triple Two Step” and some..
- Who is this Crazy Cowboy from Texas? Well, to answer the question in this lens’ title . . . My name is Tony New and I’m not really crazy. I’m a bit twisted… maybe, in a metaphorical kind of…
- Top 10 Line Dances from the World Line Dance Newsletter for the Week ending 05/06/2012 Hi there, I’m your tour guide through this week’s top ten line dances from Carol Craven’s “World Line Dance Newsletter” for the week ending May 6, 2012. The…
About TxCowboyDancerTen time Country Dance World Champion. I love to dance. In the middle of a journey, transforming myself from "unemployed and out-of-shape" to "in-shape and full time dance instructor, writer and graphic artist."
Posted on Wed, May 9, 2012, in Misc and tagged Dance, dancer, dancing, iTunes, Like Button, Line dance, making a living, Performing Arts, professional dancer, professional writer, self employment, Squidoo, Squidoo.com, Unemployment, writing. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.