I really need to do a dozen different posts…
…but this quick update is all I have time for!
This blog, for those who need the reminder is about ME! Moí! And the stuff going on as I continue on my journey, dancing my way to Health and Fitness.
The short version is that finally after several awful years, things seem to be turning around, finally coming together for me. Yay!
Not to create any false impressions…I’ve got a long way to go on many fronts: fitness, health, dancing, and financial, but for now things are progressing in the right direction.
So, in a completely random order here are some brief updates on what’s going on in Tony-Land:
I updated my event calendar:
Next big event: IGRA Dance Round Up 2017
I am one of the invited instructors. Yay! —> click the poster to the right to embiggen so you can read it and get more info about the event. Here is the link to the full schedule of workshops and the registration form.
Here are the workshops that I will be teaching:
FRIDAY, June 8th
— 2:15 – 3:15 pm at the Roundup Saloon – Couples – “West Coast Swing”
— 4:45 – 5:45 pm at the Roundup Saloon – My Brand New Line Dance:
“Dirty New Boots” 32 count, 4 wall, Improver Level
danced to “Dirt on my Boots / by Jon Pardi”
SATURDAY, June 9th
— 9:15 – 10:15 am at the Roundup Saloon – Couples – “Cha-Cha”
— 2:45 – 3:45 pm at Sue Ellens – Line dance – “Sunday Finest / choreographed by Jose’ Miguel Belloque Vane and Roy Verdonk” 32 count, 4 wall, Low Intermediate
danced to “Sunday Finest / by Sir Rosevelt”
— 4:00 – 5:00 pm at Sue Ellens – Couples – “Night Club 2-Step”
Now accepting new ProAm Students!!!!
If you have ever wanted to compete in dance, then give me a shout.
I have over 20 years of experience in Country Western and Line Dance competitions. Ballroom is also a possibility.
My rates are VERY reasonable and you can save money by buying packages of 5 or 10 lessons.
New Competitor Special
I offer a “new competitor” special — $70 for two private lessons (including floor fees). You get an introduction to your choice of eight county competition dances, six ballroom competition dances, and/or line dance competition info.
At the end of the second lesson you’ll have the information you need to make a sound decision about whether competition is right for you or if you just want to continue at the social dance level. What are you waiting for? Sign up now!
I hate to put in the disclaimer stuff, but if I don’t do it then people get upset…my special offer is not open to current DanceMakers students; I am a staff instructor there, so if you are already a student at DanceMakers, the normal DanceMaker rates apply. On the bright side, you are already part of an AWESOME studio family!!!!
On the Fitness Front:
Total lost to date: 64.10 lbs, approximate left to loose: 75.9 lbs.
The exact amount left depends on my final body fat percentage. My target range is 7% – 17% which, according to the information from the American Council on Exercise, at 7% would put me in the middle of the “Athletes” range for men on the low end.
On the high end of that target range, at 17%, I would be at the top of the “Fitness” level which is below the “acceptable level.”
Other progress indicators:
Yes, the weight loss is great but the MAIN indicator of my increasing fitness and health is my ability to move my body. At my worst climbing a flight of stairs was a painful ordeal requiring a 20 minute nap to recover. Yes, I’m prone to drama, but that is a cold hard fact with no exaggeration.
Now, I am dancing…a lot!
In Jan 2016, when I first became a “full pro” a single hour of dance class or a lesson was a HUGE achievement. And one that required that I pretty much rest most of the next day. Now, I can do 5-6 hours of dancing. My feet hurt and I’m beat at the end of it, but after a full night’s sleep, I can do the same the following day.
I still have a way to go to be where I want to be, but I am sure I will get there. This coming week will be a true test of my current fitness level. very single day this week I have lessons with students, rehearsals, and then this coming weekend, I have the IGRA Dance Round Up. My lightest day is 4 hours of dancing. My heaviest day will be 6 hours (as of now), but when you toss in the commuting time…eeeeeeeeekkkk!
Other stuff in a random off the top of my head order…
- I am now an Award Winning Choreographer!!! Woot! I competed in Choreography for the first time at the Texas Classic a couple weeks ago. I entered my very first line dance that I’ve ever choreographed: “Dirty New Boots” — The judges gave me very high marks and I took 1st place! Yay! A big shout out to my “back up dancers” friends who learned my dance and danced it with me at the competition. THANK YOU! Check out the photo to the right — click to “embiggen”
- I danced for the first time in the Superstar Division at the Texas Hoedown in March — It is the highest level of competition. Yay!
- I danced for the first time as a “Professional” dancing with two of my students who competed in Newcomer ProAm at the Texas Hoedown in March.
- I am on track to compete in Line Dance at UCWDC Worlds in San Francisco and ACDA Nationals here in Dallas. Lots of rehearsing left to do and still have create my “Showcase” dances. Eeeeeeekkkkk… But I’m on track.
- The number of students I have is steadily increasing. Which is way cool.
- I am continuing to learn more dance steps, more technique, more Ballroom, more Country, more Line, more Swing…. Whew! Bottom line: I am becoming a better dancer every single day.
- My Diabetes is under control. My doc says that I should be able to start reducing the meds early next year. Eventually I will NOT be a diabetic. Yay!
- My physical therapy is complete and I now have 99% functionality in my left shoulder which was injured a couple years ago.
- The treatments to manage the tingling in my left arm have mostly succeeded. This will be an ongoing issue for me but at least I know there is a treatment. I have no idea what’s gonna happen with my health insurance… Grrrrrrrrr…. but for now, and as long as I have coverage, I can do the 3 treatments a year and manage the condition.
- Finally almost done with fixing some dental issues that cropped up during the period when “my life exploded” and I had no health insurance.
- Financially…well because I am teaching more students, all bills are being covered and I am eating better foods because I have more money for food.BUT I am still not making enough money to pay rent. If not for the kindness of my best friend, I would be on the street. He is letting me stay rent free in his spare bedroom. Anyone want to make a donation?
Seriously… There is a back log of “things that had to wait til money got better that I’m working through. Nothing that can’t wait a bit longer but it would be nice to have them now rather than later. Check out my full list of “Things to help Tony on his Journey to Health and Fitness” at Amazon.com if you are feeling generous.
- My truck is now paid off! Yay! That helped a lot on the financial front…but just when I was contemplating my influx new found wealth [tongue firmly placed in cheek]…my health insurance premiums for 2017 went up. Arrrrgggghhh Which pretty much wiped out the the “gain” I got from no car payments. *SIGH* Don’t get me wrong…I am happy to have insurance and it has saved my life, but this cycle of ever increasing health care costs is not sustainable.
Well I think that is the highlights…and the clock is ticking…I have to start getting ready for bed. Tomorrow morning kicks off a non-stop whirlwind of activity for the next SIX DAYS!
I tell ya now…if I don’t drop a full percentage point of body fat and do not drop AT LEAST 5 lbs this week there is no justice in this world. Jus’ sayin’
See ya on the dance floor!
Lots going on…
Check out my updated Events / Dance Calendar.
My Next Event is the Oklahoma Dance Rush!
- I will compete 2 dances in Classic Line Dance, Silver Advanced Male
— Rise and Fall: R&F
— Pulse: Dance All Night — I’m running out of time and this one is not quite ready…I might have to scratch it.
- I will enter one dance in the Newcomer/Novice Country Choreography competition.
— “Dirty New Boots” / choreographed by Tony New. Music: “Dirt on My Boots / Jon Pardi”
— Stay tuned for links to the stepsheet and video for the dance!
— Want to be one of my back up dancers? — Contact me!
- Looking for an Instructor to be your ProAm Coach? Or your Line Dance Coach?
My lesson rates are very reasonable. Don’t wait!
— Contact me to get get started NOW to be ready for this event
- I will be on staff at this event.
— Friday 21st at 2pm I will teach the Maddie & Tae Polka, which is one of the Newcomer ACDA and UCWDC Line Dances for the 2017-2018 Dance Season.
— Friday 21st at 4pm I will teach Earth which is one of the Novice ACDA and UCWDC Line Dances for the 2017-2018 Dance Season.
— Saturday 22nd (1pm) I’ll be teaching my new dance: “Dirty New Boots” / choreographed by Tony New. Anyone who comes to the workshop and learns the dance is invited to be on the floor with me as one of my backup dancers when I demo the dance in the competition on Sunday 23rd.
— Saturday 22nd at 4pm I’ll be teaching Sunday Finest / choreographed by José miguel Belloque Vane and Roy Verdonk — Music: Sunday Finest / by Sir Rosevelt
- I am available for Private Lessons or Coaching during the event! Couples or Line!
—- Contact me to arrange a Private Lesson
- SPECIAL OFFER: “Intro to Line Competition” only $20 if you book during The Dance Rush
—- Contact Me to book the “Intro Session”
See ya on the dance floor!
And…Moí will be there! With boots on!
The ACDA is second largest of the two major Country Western Dance organizations here in the United States. It is centered in the South / Southwest / Midwest part of the country and consists of several events spaced throughout the year.
It features a dance competition, lots of workshops, vendors selling costumes, and boots and dance shoes, and jewelry and there is LOTS of social dancing!
And it is FUN! Really really FUN!! Woot!
There is also a Saturday night show featuring some awesome dance numbers.
I will be teaching TWO Workshops!
Join me for my “Twisty Two Step” Workshop
Place: at the event hotel
Covers: a fun Two-step pattern.
Other info: You do not need a partner, although you should at least know the basic two-step.
For workshop #2, I will be teaching a line dance called “6-8-12”
Here is the walk-through video of the dance:
- The workshop is at 10 am on Saturday, Oct 8th (at the event hotel)
- This line dance is suitable for all levels.
- It is a Night Club Two-Step style dance. Which means that a couples dancer or Pro-Am dancer who wants to practice their Night Club Two-step skills could use this pattern as a “practice” to improve their Night Club Two Step couples dancing!!!!
- This dance is the current UCWDC Newcomer Smooth line dance. So if you’ve been thinking of competing in line dance, here is your chance to learn one of the competition dances! This dance will be in use through early March of 2017, so you can use it at any of the remaining UCWDC events and at the events early in the year in 2017!
- This pattern can be danced to ANY Night Club Two Step song.
Dance: 6, 8, 12 / choreographed by Daan Geelen
Style: Newcomer / Improver level, 2 wall, 32 count, Night Club Two Step
Music: 6, 8, 12 / by Brian McKnight (preview for free or purchase and download for $1.29)
Walk-through video: https://youtu.be/wjxjqFjU-zc
I am available for Private Lessons during the event.
If you want to book a lesson with me call or text 214.415.3819
I am offering a Waltz Across Texas” special price on my
“Introduction to Line Dance Competition” workshop
See ya on the dance floor!
- Class meets every Tuesday at 6pm.
- New Line Dance taught each week – drawn from the newest hottest dances on the planet.
- Taught by Five Time UCWDC World Champion Line Dancer, Tony New
- The first few minutes of class is always a “Technique & Review” session where:
…I go over basic technique of common line dance steps,
…answer questions about recently taught dances,
…and occasionally make announcements about upcoming events.This allows folks who get caught in traffic a chance to arrive in time for the teach of the new dance.
- Periodically I have an “Oldie-but-Goodie Week” where I teach a classic line dance that has stood the test of time and is still popular with dancers from around the world.
- Save money by paying for the entire month
- …save money by purchasing a 4 pack or 8 pack single class “dance card”
- …save money by signing up for one of DanceMaker’s “Unlimited Classes” packages.
- Visit the DanceMaker’s website (http://dancemakers.com) for full details on pricing and a full calendar of all the dance classes.
Exercise your mind and your body!
Learn the hottest most popular line dances!
Have FUN fun FUN!
Meet new friends!
Have TONS of FUN!
Join a world wide family of dance enthusiasts!
Need more info? Call (817) 244-8500
Or visit https://txcowboydancer.com/faq-about-tonys-line-dance-classes
Line Dance Class – When & Where:
- Every Tuesday at 6pm
- Mark your calendars! — OCTOBER classes start on Oct 4th
- DanceMakers of Texas
— 6201 Sunset Drive, Suite 630 Fort Worth, TX 76116 [Get Directions]
— Studio Phone: 817-244-8500
— Visit the website for details on pricing and for the full calendar of classes
- Drop-ins Welcome – Save money by paying for the whole month.
Just the facts…Uhmmm…the dance!
Folks who have read my blog over the years (you know who you are) know that my general theme has been one of rampant goofiness. Well not today… I just don’t have the time or strength or energy.
In fact… the past several months have been like that. I’ve been focused so much on DOING that I haven’t had a lot of time to WRITE about doing.
I will, try… attempt… endeavor… undertake… give it my best shot to rectify that over the coming couple weeks.
Hopefully I’ll be able to bring you up to speed on what’s been happening on the fitness front, the finances front and give you an update as to where I stand on my Journey to Fitness and Health.
But, as you may have noticed, I’ve been doing REALLY good to get 1 post out a week about the most pressing topic: my ongoing Line Dance class.
So, this post is simply what dancing I’ll be doing this week; I hope you can join me.
Tuesday Line Dance Class!
My “Beginner” line dance class on Tuesday is continuing. I hope you can join me and bring a friend. Really! I need more people in the class! This is summer and as is usual during the summer months, the number of students in the class have dropped off. I really would like more folks in the class!
But on the bright side, right now, because of its small size, that means you get lots of individual attention! Woot!
And there is a special price offer this month. Check out the DanceMakers Website for full details.
Details: When / Where
- Every Tuesday at 6pm — Next class is Tue, Aug 9th
- DanceMakers of Texas
— 6201 Sunset Drive, Suite 630 Fort Worth, TX 76116 [Get Directions]
- Pay at the door or call ahead to Register: 817-244-8500
- Dances range from Ultra-beginner to Improver; all drawn from the hottest line dances on the planet.
I’m Teaching at LoneStar Invitational
Omni Austin Hotel at Southpark – Austin, TX – August 12-14, 2016
Workshops I am teaching:
Sat, Aug 13, 10:45 am – Line Dance Teach
Dance: “Fragile” an Advanced level Phrased Line Dance, choreographed by Guyton Mundy, Fred Whitehouse & J.P. Madge.
Music: Fragile / by Kygo & Labrinth (preview for free or purchase from Amazon for $1.29)
Sat, Aug 13, 2pm
– “Introduction to Line Competition”
It is no secret that I love line dance. I also love to compete.
It is also no secret that I want MORE people to compete in line dance. So for about a year now I’ve been offering at the VERY low cost of just $20 a special “Intro to Line Competition” session which can be taken in person or via Skype if you don’t live in my area.
This workshop on Aug 13th at 2pm will be a Special Presentation in a “group” format at no cost!
Well no additional cost. The workshop is included with your weekend and/or day pass.
This workshop is for ALL DANCERS: Couples, ProAm and Social Line Dancers
Join UCWDC World Champion and ACDA Nationals Champion “Tony New” to learn everything you need to know about how to use Line Dance as a “drill” to build better basic skills. You’ll learn about step sheets and how to read them and the difference between social & competition line dance. Tony will give an overview of the rules and how to qualify for Nationals and Worlds as well as tips for all competitors.
Sat, Aug 13, 5 pm – Line Dance Teach
Dance: “Blue Lights Chasing” – an Intermediate / Advanced level line dance choreographed by Joey Warren
Music: We Went / by Randy Houser (preview for free or purchase from Amazon for $1.29)
Available for Private Lessons all weekend at LoneStar
Book ahead please! Use this form to contact me about a private lesson.
The more in advance you contact me the better I will be able to coach you during the event.
See ya on the dance floor!