I really need to do a dozen different posts…
…but this quick update is all I have time for!
This blog, for those who need the reminder is about ME! Moí! And the stuff going on as I continue on my journey, dancing my way to Health and Fitness.
The short version is that finally after several awful years, things seem to be turning around, finally coming together for me. Yay!
Not to create any false impressions…I’ve got a long way to go on many fronts: fitness, health, dancing, and financial, but for now things are progressing in the right direction.
So, in a completely random order here are some brief updates on what’s going on in Tony-Land:
I updated my event calendar:
Next big event: IGRA Dance Round Up 2017
I am one of the invited instructors. Yay! —> click the poster to the right to embiggen so you can read it and get more info about the event. Here is the link to the full schedule of workshops and the registration form.
Here are the workshops that I will be teaching:
FRIDAY, June 8th
— 2:15 – 3:15 pm at the Roundup Saloon – Couples – “West Coast Swing”
— 4:45 – 5:45 pm at the Roundup Saloon – My Brand New Line Dance:
“Dirty New Boots” 32 count, 4 wall, Improver Level
danced to “Dirt on my Boots / by Jon Pardi”
SATURDAY, June 9th
— 9:15 – 10:15 am at the Roundup Saloon – Couples – “Cha-Cha”
— 2:45 – 3:45 pm at Sue Ellens – Line dance – “Sunday Finest / choreographed by Jose’ Miguel Belloque Vane and Roy Verdonk” 32 count, 4 wall, Low Intermediate
danced to “Sunday Finest / by Sir Rosevelt”
— 4:00 – 5:00 pm at Sue Ellens – Couples – “Night Club 2-Step”
Now accepting new ProAm Students!!!!
If you have ever wanted to compete in dance, then give me a shout.
I have over 20 years of experience in Country Western and Line Dance competitions. Ballroom is also a possibility.
My rates are VERY reasonable and you can save money by buying packages of 5 or 10 lessons.
New Competitor Special
I offer a “new competitor” special — $70 for two private lessons (including floor fees). You get an introduction to your choice of eight county competition dances, six ballroom competition dances, and/or line dance competition info.
At the end of the second lesson you’ll have the information you need to make a sound decision about whether competition is right for you or if you just want to continue at the social dance level. What are you waiting for? Sign up now!
I hate to put in the disclaimer stuff, but if I don’t do it then people get upset…my special offer is not open to current DanceMakers students; I am a staff instructor there, so if you are already a student at DanceMakers, the normal DanceMaker rates apply. On the bright side, you are already part of an AWESOME studio family!!!!
On the Fitness Front:
Total lost to date: 64.10 lbs, approximate left to loose: 75.9 lbs.
The exact amount left depends on my final body fat percentage. My target range is 7% – 17% which, according to the information from the American Council on Exercise, at 7% would put me in the middle of the “Athletes” range for men on the low end.
On the high end of that target range, at 17%, I would be at the top of the “Fitness” level which is below the “acceptable level.”
Other progress indicators:
Yes, the weight loss is great but the MAIN indicator of my increasing fitness and health is my ability to move my body. At my worst climbing a flight of stairs was a painful ordeal requiring a 20 minute nap to recover. Yes, I’m prone to drama, but that is a cold hard fact with no exaggeration.
Now, I am dancing…a lot!
In Jan 2016, when I first became a “full pro” a single hour of dance class or a lesson was a HUGE achievement. And one that required that I pretty much rest most of the next day. Now, I can do 5-6 hours of dancing. My feet hurt and I’m beat at the end of it, but after a full night’s sleep, I can do the same the following day.
I still have a way to go to be where I want to be, but I am sure I will get there. This coming week will be a true test of my current fitness level. very single day this week I have lessons with students, rehearsals, and then this coming weekend, I have the IGRA Dance Round Up. My lightest day is 4 hours of dancing. My heaviest day will be 6 hours (as of now), but when you toss in the commuting time…eeeeeeeeekkkk!
Other stuff in a random off the top of my head order…
- I am now an Award Winning Choreographer!!! Woot! I competed in Choreography for the first time at the Texas Classic a couple weeks ago. I entered my very first line dance that I’ve ever choreographed: “Dirty New Boots” — The judges gave me very high marks and I took 1st place! Yay! A big shout out to my “back up dancers” friends who learned my dance and danced it with me at the competition. THANK YOU! Check out the photo to the right — click to “embiggen”
- I danced for the first time in the Superstar Division at the Texas Hoedown in March — It is the highest level of competition. Yay!
- I danced for the first time as a “Professional” dancing with two of my students who competed in Newcomer ProAm at the Texas Hoedown in March.
- I am on track to compete in Line Dance at UCWDC Worlds in San Francisco and ACDA Nationals here in Dallas. Lots of rehearsing left to do and still have create my “Showcase” dances. Eeeeeeekkkkk… But I’m on track.
- The number of students I have is steadily increasing. Which is way cool.
- I am continuing to learn more dance steps, more technique, more Ballroom, more Country, more Line, more Swing…. Whew! Bottom line: I am becoming a better dancer every single day.
- My Diabetes is under control. My doc says that I should be able to start reducing the meds early next year. Eventually I will NOT be a diabetic. Yay!
- My physical therapy is complete and I now have 99% functionality in my left shoulder which was injured a couple years ago.
- The treatments to manage the tingling in my left arm have mostly succeeded. This will be an ongoing issue for me but at least I know there is a treatment. I have no idea what’s gonna happen with my health insurance… Grrrrrrrrr…. but for now, and as long as I have coverage, I can do the 3 treatments a year and manage the condition.
- Finally almost done with fixing some dental issues that cropped up during the period when “my life exploded” and I had no health insurance.
- Financially…well because I am teaching more students, all bills are being covered and I am eating better foods because I have more money for food.BUT I am still not making enough money to pay rent. If not for the kindness of my best friend, I would be on the street. He is letting me stay rent free in his spare bedroom. Anyone want to make a donation?
Seriously… There is a back log of “things that had to wait til money got better that I’m working through. Nothing that can’t wait a bit longer but it would be nice to have them now rather than later. Check out my full list of “Things to help Tony on his Journey to Health and Fitness” at Amazon.com if you are feeling generous.
- My truck is now paid off! Yay! That helped a lot on the financial front…but just when I was contemplating my influx new found wealth [tongue firmly placed in cheek]…my health insurance premiums for 2017 went up. Arrrrgggghhh Which pretty much wiped out the the “gain” I got from no car payments. *SIGH* Don’t get me wrong…I am happy to have insurance and it has saved my life, but this cycle of ever increasing health care costs is not sustainable.
Well I think that is the highlights…and the clock is ticking…I have to start getting ready for bed. Tomorrow morning kicks off a non-stop whirlwind of activity for the next SIX DAYS!
I tell ya now…if I don’t drop a full percentage point of body fat and do not drop AT LEAST 5 lbs this week there is no justice in this world. Jus’ sayin’
See ya on the dance floor!
This is going to be the week!
Just a very quick post to share some good news. I just got off the scale and for the FIRST TIME in ages my weight has dropped below 301 lbs!!!
Doing a “happy dance” in my chair as I type…which is quite the feat of dexterity!
So, given that my weight is 300.8 lbs today and given that for the past few days it has been dropping by a few tenth’s of a pound every day, it is EXTREMELY LIKELY that by the end of the week I’ll be below 300 lbs. For the first time in almost two years. Yay!
Light a candle and send positive energy my way…
Keep me in your thoughts…
…and watch for a longer post later this week about my first week back in the dance studio. Yes, it is finally happening. I’m dancing again.
See ya on the dance floor!
In completely random order…
OK, folks this is going to look more like a “Facebook” or “Twitter” post than one of my usual blog posts…
BUT… Sqqqqeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! I am feeling AWESOME at the moment and I just had to share
The past couple / three weeks have seen some NOTICEABLE improvements in my health and fitness. A few months ago I felt as if I had hit the very bottom; I just didn’t see how it could get any worse.
Now, a few months further along, I think I was right. That was the “bottom” — why? I’m glad you asked. Because since then things have been getting better, a little at a time. A TEENY tiny LITTLE itty bitty bit at a time, but better.
So, in no particular order, these are the things that I’m happy about this morning:
- My weight on the scale this morning was 300.6 lbs. OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!!!! Sooooooooooooooooo close to being under 300lbs! I can almost TASTE it!
- I went shopping at Kroger this week. Which is a HUGE step. I’ve been shopping at this tiny grocery mart called “Braums” for the bulk of my food. Because frankly I didn’t have the strength or stamina to go shopping at a large grocery store — the distance I had to cover to do my shopping was more than I had the strength to do. Literally. No exageration. But this week I shopped at Kroger, AND I was able to carry ALL of the groceries up the stairs without having to ask my room mate for help! Yay!
- I did a two loads of laundry on Saturday. And it wasn’t until I was done that I realized that it wasn’t an ordeal. Which is FRIGGIN’ AMAZING!
- I have met my Out of Pocket Maximum with my insurance for the year, which means that for the rest of the year everything is covered at 100% Yay! Even doctor’s visits copays and Rx copays are all zero! Yay!
- Did I mention that my weight was 300.6 lbs?
- I sold my bed! Yay! That means that I no longer have to pay $29 a month for a storage unit. Yay!
- And the money from the bed ($150) covered the gap between my monthly pension and the amount I need to pay bills. Now all I need to earn is money for food for the 2nd half of the month. Yay!
- I did a chart for my doctor — I have an appointment tomorrow morning (Tue Oct 6). My blood glucose numbers are on a downward trajectory which means that the diabetes medication is doing its job. I think it will do an even better job once I start taking it on a completely regular schedule. I sometimes forget to take the night-time dose. (My bad.) My doctor is going to give me a “Mom Look” tomorrow when I see her. But she’ll give me a hug for loosing more weight! 😀
- Avg for Last two weeks: 125
- Avg for Last four weeks: 126
- Avg for Last Last eight weeks: 127
- Avg for Last twelve weeks: 130
- Avg for Sept: 126
- Avg for Aug: 128
- Avg for July: 137
- And finally. This is the week. Come hell or high water, I am going to get to the dance studio three times this week! Well, technically, I’m not going to a “dance studio” — For me my “dance studio” is actually 24 Hour Fitness aerobics room, butcha know what I mean.. 🙂
See ya on the dance floor!
Life is lookin’ good!
Just a quick rundown of some great things that have been happening to me over the past few days… Woot! Uh-huh! YeeHaw!
- I’ve been feeling a LOT better, more energy, moving around easier, more active.
- I am now within spittin’ distance of 300 lbs! Woot! This will be a major milestone, just a few more pounds!! Yay!
- I’ve started planning for next year’s “Dance Competition Season” Woot! Check out my updated Calendar to see which events I think I’ll be attending… — I’ve started looking at dances and music for next year. I’ve already been invited to perform in the Saturday night show at the Texas Hoedown in March! Thank you Virginia for the invite! I start rehearsals on Monday. It will so good to get back into the studio!
- My Blood Glucose levels are mostly within the target range. My big challenge is taking my meds on a regular schedule. My sleep cycle keeps messing up my “take the meds” time. *sigh* but it is getting better! Progress! Not Perfection! Woot!
- I’ve been cleaning out old files on my computer, sorting them, deleting them, renaming and organizing the ones I need/want to keep.
- And over the past few days, I’ve had a sudden surge of folks buying stuff off of my design store: TxCowboyDancer Designs! Woot! Uh-huh! It really does make me feel good when something I created is bought by someone who thinks highly enough of it to lay out some cold hard cash. Even at a measly 10% commission. But hey, I ain’t gonna turn it down! Woot!Here is the current “Top Dozen” most popular designs on my site:
- Also in the “graphic design” front, one of my very favorite designs was purchased this week *and* it appears in the Top 12 for the first time! Woot! It is a photo I took when I visited Banff, just outside of Calgary, Canada. I fell in love. I actually checked job listings at their local library when I got back home to Texas. Alas, there were no openings. *sigh* Here is the photo for your enjoyment (or if you wanna buy something with it on it, well that works too!) LOL
I mean, I’m not a pro photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but sometimes you get lucky… *sigh* I wish I could go back….
- And, finally, I’ve noticed over the past few days that I am more flexible, I’m able to reach and twist more that I could a month ago. Life is good.
307.4 lbs!!!! OMG!
Did I mention that my weight today on the scale was 307.4 lbs? I did, oh, then that’s it . I now return you to your normally scheduled…
BUT WAIT! 307.4!!!! Didchagetthat?!?!
That, my dear readers, is LESS THAN 310!!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!
I do declare I may faint from happiness! The vapors; the VAYpoors…. I haz tha VAYpoor…. Swoooooooon
[yes, the image of a hairy balding 50 something white dude swooning
like an old time silent film star is going to be stuck in your head for the rest of the day]
But I haven’t seen 310 in AGES! let alone been UNDER 310 — that, my friends, is swoon worthy!
THIS IS HUGE (pardon the pun)
COLLOSUL… COLLOSEL ? COlluseaoul?
REALLY REALLY BIG!
Darn you spell check! You failed me when I needed you most! How do you spell that word anyway!
For those of you keeping count. That makes my total weight loss just a teeny bit under 25 lbs — close enough to round to 25!!!
Woot! Uh-huh! WHO da man? Huh? WhoseYerDaddy?!! Take THAT foul fatness!
Why the sudden and dramatic downward trend?
Dude, I’m doin’ drugs.
Don’t getcher panties in a twist. They are legal “diabetic” drugs. But because my body is starting to behave the way it should, it is no longer sending FEED ME messages all the time
Which means that I’m not eating as much.
Which means that I’m using the abundant supplies of food I have stored in the subcutaneous and intramuscular spaces in my body and TAH DAH! WEIGHT LOSS!
Whew! I’m worn out! I need a cigarette. Well not really, but you get the gist… wink wink
Did I mention I weighed 307.4 lbs today? Oh, I did, ok then.
See ya on the dance floor!